I’ve been writing a lot. Most of the writing I’m doing is about topics I don’t want to write about. Academic dishonesty, psychological ethics in film, Abnormal Psychology in my workplace, etc., etc., etc. Very dry topics requiring research, proper citation, and bibliographies (which we call references in the APA format). I can’t say it’s entirely uninteresting, but it requires effort and critical thinking. I’m tired of that kind of writing. I just want to have some fun! I’ve been yearning for this blog and some frivolous, creative, and pointless musings.
I was in the shower last night, after a hard day of yard work. All of a sudden, the hot water on my achey body just felt so good. And I thought to myself that a hot shower after a hard day is a true simple pleasure. My mind started to wander, then, over those small things in my life that I have really been enjoying lately.
1. Coke slushies. So refreshing on a hot and humid day. So completely nutritionless. So addictive.
2. Cheap green sandals from Kohl’s. I don’t know why I love them except that green is my favorite color. They just make me happy. Other people like them, too. I’ve gotten complements from family, friends and strangers. Best purchase of the summer.
3. Pedicures. I hadn’t had a pedicure in years and decided to get one before our trip to Key West. Oh, what I’ve been missing! I’m convinced this is one of the most luxurious forms of pampering known to man. It will not be years before I enjoy another one. That’s a promise.
4. Morning walks at the park. Before it gets too hot and I get too busy. I love smelling the honeysuckle and locust trees and watching the sparrows flit about. And I feel so self-righteous for actually fitting exercise into my day.
5. Playing Scattegories with my family. This classic game brings out the silliness of anyone who plays. I am really enjoying the belly laughs and bonding time.
6. The anticipation of summer vacation. The end of school is only two and a half days away. The kids can’t wait. I can’t wait. No more schedule and no more homework. We all can sleep in. I am so excited.
7. Blogging. I know I haven’t been blogging here. But, I have just finished my travel blog about our trip to Key West and enjoyed every minute of it. Retelling our adventures and sharing photos was a ton of fun. I’m very proud of the result. Now, I want to spend some time right here at Whimsey Pie.
8. Pizza. With baseball games commanding hours of time almost every evening of the week, we are eating a lot of quick meals. We’ve ordered and eaten so much pizza, I believe that the family should look like pies by now. I’ve started craving pizza on a regular basis. Come to think of it, I could eat a slice right now.
Well, that’s the short list of the things I’m all about at this moment. I am so thankful for even the small things in life that bring pleasure and comfort in a world that can be exhausting and stressful. Do you have small pleasures you’d like to share?