In many ways, January has been a struggle. I freely acknowledge this truth but have no interest in dwelling on it. Instead, I’m focusing on the little things in my life that made January even the tiniest bit more pleasant. When life feels hard, I seek out ways to soften the edges and my January needed a lot of softening.
- Winter twilight. I’ve been wondering lately if there is any beauty comparable to the quiet, muted loveliness of dusk in January. These evenings always lift my spirit and draw my heart into worship.
- Books. Well-written, entertaining books which don’t require monumental mental effort have been my escape of choice lately (i.e., Journey to Munich, I Let You Go, and Everything I Never Told You). Me, finding pleasure in books? -Shocker, I know. 🙂
- Hot tea. Sipping a cup of steaming tea is a pleasure I’ve been indulging in with abandon this month. As a matter of fact, I’m having a cup of my favorite, Harney’s Christmas Tea, as I type. Delicious!
- Victoria. PBS’s Masterpiece Theater is working it’s magic once again and my daughter, Julia, and I have fallen under the spell. Every Sunday evening we settle in to experience the early reign of Queen Victoria as she navigates the intrigues of Court and the complexities of royal responsibility and love. Starring Jenna Coleman as Victoria, Rufus Sewell as Lord Melbourne, and Tom Hughes as Albert, Victoria is a dependable bright spot in my week. I’ll be sad when it’s over; we’ll have to check out The Crown on Netflix next to get our royal fix.
- Anticipation. My husband and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary this year by traveling to the Society Islands of French Polynesia in March. We will spend most of our time on the Wind Spirit sailing between the islands and are hoping for gorgeous scenery, spectacular snorkeling, and sublime relaxation. It’s summer there this time of year so the weather will be hot, humid, and perhaps a bit rainy – all the things winter in Pennsylvania is not. I can’t wait for this trip and the anticipation of it has helped me endure the rough spots of this month.
Well, January is almost over and thankfully so. Here’s to a February that is healthier, saner, and much less stressful.
What small pleasures are getting you through?