July was filled to the brim with good things: rest and relaxation, fun celebrations, lush summer landscapes, and local farm stands overflowing with deliciousness. The downside of all this goodness is it’s been a struggle to edit my Small Pleasures list into something manageable. So, after much deliberation, here are my top five (plus a bonus) little happinesses of the month. Enjoy!
July’s Small Pleasures
- Swimming in the ocean. From the first time my dad walked me into the breaking waves at Tower Road beach in Dewey, Delaware, I’ve nurtured an undying love for the ocean. I love it when it’s gentle, perfect for floating on my back with my eyes closed, losing myself in the gentle rocking. I love it, too, when it’s rough and churning with waves that boss me around and deliver tenfold on the promise of boisterous body surfing and boogie boarding. I even love how refreshed I feel when I mosey back to my beach chair, my skin tingling from the brisk salty water. I don’t live very close to the ocean so I’m thankful for the time I was able to spend in it during my trip to the Outer Banks at the beginning of July.
- Orange Creamsicle smoothies. In Corolla, North Carolina, there is a little café that serves up the best remedy for a hot day. Their Orange Creamsicle smoothie tastes exactly like the namesake popsicle and I indulged almost every day of my vacation. Yum!
- A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman (audiobook narrated by George Newbern). The story of Ove, a crotchety older guy with a hidden heart of gold, is a delight as an audiobook. Through George Newbern’s narration, I grew to love Ove and the people who inhabited his world and I looked forward to washing the dishes or taking my walks just so I could spend more time with the whole bunch. Listening to this book was a very satisfying experience and my thoughts frequently wander back to Ove and his “family”.
- Peaches. Peaches are in season around here and they are delicious. We’ve been enjoying the sweet, juicy fruit by the basketful and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.
- Walking at sunset. July has been a sizzler so Jay and I have started walking later in the evening to get away from the worst of the heat. The sunsets have been spectacular lately and the stillness of dusk has been soothing and restorative. It’s become a restful way to close the day.
- The Bonus Pick. This video by Mark Broussard and his daughters. Evie just cracks me up…
I hope your height-of-summer has been as delightful as mine. Now it’s time to wave good-bye to July and embrace the mellow last days of the season.
5 thoughts on “Small Pleasures: July 2017 Edition”
Lovely list – and i am glad you like Ove! I like him too. And the movie charachter is played by one of my favourite Swedish actors.
Ove is one of the best books I’ve read all year. I will definitely have to check out the movie. Thanks for the suggestion!
OK – hope to hear your thoughts about it!
This is my first time stopping by. I read a few posts and this feature is pretty clever and very enjoyable. Thanks for creating this space. Be well
Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog and for your kind words, Guy. I appreciate it!