Toddlers have a knack for impacting a family’s unique vernacular. For instance, when my daughter was small, she called M&M candies Ms. Just Ms. And this is what my family continues to call them, even though we haven’t had a toddler living with us for almost two decades. Today, I’m bringing an M recipe to the party that is both delicious and versatile. It is officially called the Fat Chewy, but here at Whimsey Pie, we’re just going to call it The M Cookie.
The M Cookie is not specifically a Christmas cookie. It can be an anytime or any holiday cookie depending on the color of Ms you use. With red and green Ms, this cookie holds its own alongside gingerbread men and snickerdoodles in the Christmas cookie canon. The recipe is low effort and the pay off in flavor is huge. Paired with a glass of milk, M Cookies are the perfect snack for Santa. Or anyone else who loves cookies or Ms.
The Fat Chewy M Cookie
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk (extra-large eggs work well, too)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounce package of M&Ms Milk Chocolate Candies or 1 2/3 cup M&Ms (plus extra for the tops of the cookies)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I prefer mini-chips for this recipe)
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until completely incorporated.
- Whisk together flour, corn starch, baking soda, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the Ms and the chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate the dough until firm (overnight is best).
- Preheat oven to 375o F.
- Scoop cookies and roll into balls. (I use a scoop that’s approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons).
- Place a few inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet or, even better, a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 7 – 10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- While cookies are still warm, press a few extra Ms into the top of each one.
- Move to a cooling rack.
I think these cookies would be just as delicious made with other varieties of Ms such as caramel or mint or with Reese’s Pieces. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. One small word of warning: These cookies are rich. Bellyaches have been known to happen, so go slow. I know, I know. Easier said than done…